Oh my life, I'm so glad that I've finally found the time to knuckle down and write this post because I've wanted to do so for the longest time ever. I've been using both the Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector and the Maybelline Dream Fresh Cream for a while, and I really feel like I've used them long enough to be able to stick my two cents in about them.
Now, I'm not going to tell you what a BB cream is because I'm sure you already know (Google is your friend if you don't) and that you're sick to death of the explanations. Instead, I'm just going to dive straight into the review because that's what you really want to read, right?
- Garnier - 'Miracle Skin Perfector' Daily All-In-One BB Cream
|* Dollop *|
|* Swatch *|
|* Spread *|
Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector Daily All-In-One B.B. Cream in Medium - (£9.99)
What Garnier Say
"Garnier BB cream for immediately perfected skin with even tone and boosted glow. Blurs imperfections and smoothes fine lines. SPF15 protection and 24hr hydration."
What I Think
- Consistency - this BB cream is quite thick compared to the Maybelline one, but it doesn't feel at all heavy on the skin.
- Coverage - I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of coverage that Garnier's BB cream provided me with. I would say that it was somewhere between light to medium, but possibly more on the lighter side. However, I found that I could build it up, which I tended to do on my cheeks because they're a bit on red, without my face looking like I'd caked the cream on. Although, this BB cream does not conceal blemishes, so you will need to team it with a good concealer. My concealers of choice at the moment are either Collection 2000's Lasting Perfection concealer or MAC's Pro Longwear concealer.
- Look On The Skin - I love the way this BB cream makes my skin look. It gives it such a nice subtle sheen, perfect for the Spring/Summer months. I also like the fact that this BB cream makes my complexion look more even in tone. Personally, as my skin has been more oilier than usual, I like to set it with a good powder. However, if you're skin isn't oily-combination, then I think you could probably get away with not using powder at all. Oh, and I tried this BB cream on my mum, who is 50+, and it looked great on her. So, I definitely think this is a nice drugstore/high street BB cream for the more mature lady.
- Feel On The Skin - I really couldn't feel this on my skin because it's super lightweight, like I'm not even kidding. Even the areas that I had applied more cream on, such as my cheeks, didn't feel heavy with product. I definitely feel like this BB cream is moisturising my skin and it definitely hydrates my dry areas without making my oily areas even more oiler.
- Smell - As lots of bloggers have commented, this BB cream has the typical 'Garnier' smell. I have no idea how to describe the smell to you; it's sort of florally I guess. If you've ever smelt other Garnier products, then this smells just like those!! The smell doesn't really bother me because it's quite subtle and I can't smell it once the cream settles into my face.
- Colour - I've only seen this BB cream in two shades; light and medium. The medium shade is perfect for me, although I think that if you're several shades darker than me, this might not be the BB cream for you.
- Wear Time - With a primer this BB cream lasted quite a while on my face, maybe between 4-6 hours, MAX. Although, if you have more obvious blemishes then maybe the wear time would be significantly less. In addition, I did use a concealer with it, so my bad areas had extra coverage and that could be why I feel like this cream lasted a good amount of time.
- Packaging - I love the fact that this BB cream has a flip top lid, as opposed to a screw lid. I just feel like flip top lids are more hygienic. Although, I'm not sure if that's entirely true but that's how I feel.
- Price - The Garnier BB cream currently retails at £9.99, which I think is quite reasonable given how much product you get and how long it lasts. The bottle holds 50ml and lasts for ages, especially because you don't generally need to use that much unless you want to build up the coverage on certain areas of your face.
I completely agree with Garnier about what this BB cream does!! Even though a lot of people are saying that this isn't really a BB cream in the strictest sense of the word, I still really like it. The main reason why I like it is that it seemed to work for me; it evened out my skin tone, made my redness less apparent and the colour of the cream perfectly matched my skin tone. The only negative thing that I could possibly say about this BB cream is that it's only SPF 15, which is quite low for me personally.
- Maybelline 'Dream Fresh' 8-In-1 BB Cream
|* Dollop *|
|* Swatch *|
|* Spread *|
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream in Medium - (£7.99)
What Maybelline Say
"Maybelline Dream Fresh 8-in-1 BB Cream. Instant fresh-faced Glow without looking all made up.
Our gel based formula enhances skin with 8 benefits in 1.
- Creates a natural glow
- Compliments skin tone
- SPF30 UV Protection
- Hydrates all day
- Blurs imperfections
- Oil-free, non-greasy
- Looks visibly smooth.
- Feels fresh"
What I Think
- Consistency - Thanks to the gel formula, the consistency of this BB cream is quite thin and is easily absorbed into the skin. However, I personally like creams that are a little thicker, like Garnier's BB cream, because I feel like they provide the amount of coverage that I (desperately) need.
- Coverage - For me, personally, the Maybelline BB cream provided zero coverage and felt more like a moisturiser than a BB cream if I'm being completely honest. Also, my left eye area is significantly drier than the rest of my face and I felt like this BB cream just accentuated that. As previously mentioned, my cheeks can get a little red from time to time and this cream did nothing to counteract that.
- Look On The Skin - Unlike Garnier's BB cream, Maybelline's offering did not even out my skin tone at all. To be completely frank, I did not like the way it looked on my skin; it clung to my dry bits, especially around my left eye area.
- Feel On The Skin - This BB cream felt really lightweight on my skin, which I think had something to do with the gel formula. However, it did not make my skin feel as fresh as a daisy like Garnier's BB cream did.
- Smell - I really can't smell this BB cream at all, so it's either unscented or the scent is too subtle for my nose. Actually, if I really do sniff it then I can smell a slight something something, but it's incredibly subtle.
- Colour - I have seen this BB cream in four colours in the UK; Light, Universal Glow, Medium and Dark. So, there's definitely more of a chance that you're going to find a shade to suit your skin tone.
- Wear Time - Due to the fact that this BB cream is quite moisturising and thin in constancy compared to Garnier's BB cream, I feel like it doesn't as long on my skin.
- Packaging - I hate the fact that this BB cream comes with a screw top lid. Urgh, absolutely hate it!! Every time I open the lid, the cream just seems to drip straight out and it can get very messy for a klutz like me. Due to the fact that it's quite thin in consistency, I would have thought that it would be beneficial to have a flip top lid instead of a screw top one.
- Price - In terms of price, this is £2 cheaper than Garnier's BB cream. However, you do only get 30ml in the tube.
I love the fact that the Maybelline BB cream contains SPF 30, my SPF of choice on a daily basis. However, I really didn't get on with the gel formula and I didn't like the fact that it provided me with hardly any coverage. I definitely would not repurchase it because it simply doesn't do anything for my skin at all.
As you can probably tell, I prefer the Garnier BB cream to Maybelline's offering. I love almost everything about the Garnier one, apart from the low SPF that it contains. If you're undecided between the two, I would strongly suggest you go for the Garnier BB cream because it evens out skin tone, provides a good amount of coverage and looks really natural on the skin.
* * *
Have you tried the Garnier or Maybelline BB cream? What did you think? Which one do you prefer? I'd love to hear your thoughts!! Oh, and I'm on the hunt for a new BB cream to try, so suggestions are very much welcome.